Thursday, June 7, 2007

What Would YOU Grab In A Fire?


While watching Paula Deen on the Food Network the other day (I'm a knitter and a foodie!) she made a comment that got me thinking, which is always dangerous :o) Anyway, she said that if her kitchen started on fire she would grab her microplaner! A microplaner?? Hey, Paula, they only cost about $12.00, I think you could afford to replace it quite easily. Then I thought...hummm, what would I grab if the ole hacienda were to go up in flames. Of course the first thing out the door, or window, would be anything human! And next would be anything canine, especially greyhound canine! Then I would have to make choices. What would it be...I can tell you right now, it ain't no damn microplaner! But in all fairness, I would like to save "Big Blue", the beloved nickname of my cobalt blue Kitchenaid Mixer. And while we're still in the kitchen, definitely my Braun Water Kettle...the one appliance I use all the time. Then I would head to my bedroom, and my knitting supplies! Grab that black tote that holds all my dpn's, then the basket that has the sets of circular needles and my straights, and finally, toss the Circular Solution with all my loose circular needles out the window! Phew...all are safe, but what about the yarn? Well, after much thought, and unlike Paula Deen who wants to save a microplaner, I think it would be fun to replace the yarn. Who doesn't like to shop for yarn? And what a good reason to shop and rebuild your stash. Yup, Paula can have her microplaner...I'm saving my knitting needles!

Anyone out there ever used Hiya Hiya circular needles? They look very similar to Addi's but without the big price tag. I am always leery of the joins, since that is what seems to make or break a circular needle. I love the Addi's, and who doesn't? But when the average price is around $14.00 and you know that eventually you will need every size and length, it is a bit pricey. I bought the KnitPicks Options set. I like the needles, the join is smooth and the cord is nice and flexible...but I'm not sure I like the tips! They are almost too sharp and pointy, to the degree of being painful. After Paula Deen got me thinking about what's important (I am just jesting here, if I really could save anything in the event of fire it would be my antiques that are irreplaceable) I realized just how much I've invested over the years in needles! Holy Moly...it's a LOT! In fact, I don't even want to think about how much. Maybe it is time to try those Hiya Hiya circulars.

Every Thursday a group of local knitters, many of which are in our monthly group, get together at a local restaurant to have lunch and knit. I have only gone a couple times and met some very nice people. But then, aren't all knitters nice people? I am fortunate to live in a community that has good yarn stores and many local knitters. Isn't it funny how knitters seem to "find" others of like obsession? I am lucky enough to have met many wonderful knitters over the last few years, and made friendships I wouldn't have had the opportunity to make without knitting. Knitting rocks....

4 comments:

Janice said...

I'm with you... Paula Deen can have her microplaner!! I think I would grab all of the photo albums and toss them out first... The kitchen aid is a good idea... Hmmmm, does make one think!!
I haven't tried Hiya Hiya needles but love my knitpicks and the several pair of addi's that I own.
Wish I could join your knitting bunch.. sounds like fun. Knitters AND from Minnesota!! My kind of peoples! (would you allow an ex-minnesotan turned Iowan??)

Cherryl said...

Paula Deen is my favorite on Food Network. We used to record her Friday night show so that I would be able to watch it, now, I think we need to start recording her daytime shows that are on while I am at work. What would I save? First, Dave and the cats, then, as much of my knitting as possible and family photos.
Yup, I have three sets (2 sets of 0, and a set of size 1) HiyaHiya circulars. I like them much better than the Addis I have had for a while, and the fact that they are cheaper only makes them all the more attractive.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I just recived a "Blog Award" and would like to nominate your blog for a award as well. In case you are interested:Blog Award

gail said...

Yes, I also love my hotpot! I couldn't live without it. From my kitchen, I'd grab the cutting board made by my father. As for my knitting, I'd grab my completed shawls. Don't know if I could repeat all that lace--my lifetime isn't long enough!!