Friday, June 22, 2007

Am I Too Young For A Shawl?


What comes to mind when you hear the word "shawl"? A little old granny with a wool shawl wrapped around her stooped shoulders? That's what comes to my mind! Am I too young for a shawl at the middle age of 55? Nope. I have found a pattern that I would like to knit...it is a shawl. Years ago I bought some coned cotton and linen yarn from Elann. It is a beautiful denim color and would make a great shawl. I have about half of the Fiber Trends Landscape Shawl done using this yarn and I'm not sure I like it. Today I will reassess it and decide if it is to be frogged. I have no problem frogging something that I am not pleased with. I look at it this way, I'll never use it if I don't like it, and I get double the mileage out of the yarn since it gets knit twice. The shawl I want to make is from the Elann site, the Adara Rainbow Shawl. I don't like the colors they used so mine would be a solid color. Has anyone knit this, it looks to be a fun knit with interesting shaping. I need to start another project like I need a toothache, but, you know how it is...you see something that draws your attention and before you know it, you've cast on and have 6 inches done!

My daughter and grand daughter leave tomorrow morning. It will make me sad. I have really enjoyed having them here for the last 10 days. I probably won't see them again until October when I go to the Keys to visit them. I am keeping my fingers crossed that they come here for Christmas this year. In a perfect world they would live near by and I could see them everyday...maybe someday we'll live in a perfect world.

Last night was our monthly knitting group. It was also the knitting groups 5th anniversary! When Janet and I started it 5 years ago we never thought that it would actually be successful. Oh we of little faith... it turned out to be all we had ever hoped for. We have an average of 12 people a month, we've had as many as 24 and as few as 3. All ages, all levels of skill, every knitter is welcome. There are the regulars and there are some who come only once or twice and we never hear from them again. We have some knitters who knit stunning garments and some who knit dishcloths (I am NOT dissing dishcloths, I love to knit them!). It has a been a wonderful group and I have made many new friendships that I'm sure I will treasure for my lifetime.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like shawls. I think they are beautiful. But I never know where or when to wear them. To wear a shawl you have to be anticipating a quiet evening. Shawls are gentle fashion. You can't do strenuous activity in a shawl. It even seems wrong to raise your voice when wearing a shawl. Maybe shawls are like the bodysox we give to autistic kids to calm themselves. They wrap up in the fabric and it is very soothing. Maybe its the sensory input of the shawl that keeps the wearer quiet instead of the personality of the wearer. Go for it.
Woolstock

gail said...

You are NOT to young for a shawl!! I wear mine all the time, even with my grey hair! If I want to be less granny like, I simply put the point of the triangle to hang down over one arm, and tie the ends over the other shoulder. A true fashionista look, in my opinion!