Thursday, June 28, 2007

Banana Bread Heaven!


Hurray...the weather will cool off for a couple days, at least that's what Paul Douglas, the local weather guru claims! Since the temps today will only top out in the mid 70's it is a perfect day to bake. I turned the AC off last night because the overnight low was 54! It was actually chilly...I love it! But even with the AC off the house is cool and comfy. I pulled Big Blue out of his garage (BB is my cobalt blue Kitchenaid Mixer I got for Christmas last year) and made a double batch of the best banana bread in the USA...no, world...no, universe! I wish I could take credit for the recipe but I cannot, at least not honestly. It is from an old church cookbook that I got as a wedding gift many, many, years ago. I remember when I opened the package at my shower and thought...what the heck am I gonna do with a cookbook?? Aren't we gonna eat out every night? Oh how I've changed! I love to cook and bake. It is second in line, next to knitting, for one of my favorite ways to spend time. That old church cookbook is one of my favorites, I have gotten some of my best recipes from it. In honor of the ladies who donated their wonderful recipes for the cookbook, I have renamed the recipe "Church Ladies Banana Bread". Enjoy!

Church Ladies Banana Bread

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter at room temperature (no substitutions)
2 eggs
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
3 ripe bananas
2 cups flour

Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and mix. Mix buttermilk with soda and vanilla. Add and continue to mix. Mash bananas with a fork until smooth and add to mixer. When bananas are mixed in add flour and beat until well mixed. Prepare pans with cooking spray or grease and flour. Pour batter (it will be thick) into a bundt pan, or 4 small loaf pans, or one large loaf pan. Bake at 350ยบ for 30-55 minutes. The time varies depending on what pan you use. 4 small loaf pans only take about 30 minutes, a bundt pan about 45 mins and a large loaf takes the longest at about 55 mins. So check often to be sure. Cool for 15 minutes and de-pan. Great with butter! YUM

I have made this bread recipe at least 50 times and it's never failed me. It's pretty fool proof. Just keep adding the ingredients to the mixing bowl and beat away. It's easy, and delicious.

The sock I am test knitting is so pretty. I am enjoying the pattern, it's easy enough to memorize and looks so feminine. I'll post a picture as soon as I get permission from the designer. I don't know if she's going to sell this pattern or if it's a sock of the month club pattern. Either way, I feel lucky enough to be able to test it out and see the final results. So far the results are awesome!

I think that Church Ladies Banana Bread has cooled enough to cut a slice! That will be my lunch...maybe 2 slices! I better call my sons and tell them there is a loaf waiting for them at mom's house. That's why I always double the recipe and use the small loaf pans. I have to keep the kids happy!

2 comments:

gail said...

Your church ladies banana bread makes my mouth water. I love banana bread, and make it whenever I have bananas that are going south. Thanks for your praise for my landscape shawl. This is the second that I made, and I prefer the pattern modifications I made for this second one--even though the lace weight cotton drove me nuts. I added short rows, described in my current post, to make the shawl drape more in the front. Thanks for your wonderful suggestions about the upside down laundry basket!!! I laughed out loud! However, the real use is in the current post and the winner is Aquarela.

Janice said...

Mmm.. another recipe I'll have to try. Must let some bananas ripen...