Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Shoe Woes, Painting, and Knitting


I love Keens, they make a cute, comfortable, hard wearing shoe. The above Keen clogs are one of my favorite pairs of shoes that I own. I bought them specifically to wear to work since they are so comfortable. Unfortunately, our new HR doesn't seem to like Keens as much as I do. I got in trouble for wearing them...in fact, I got written up. This all happened the week before my vacation. Not a good thing since I have worked at my present job for almost 15 years and never been in trouble before. Let me rephrase that, I've never been written up before. The new HR, fresh out of college (and very experienced I'm sure!), is quite willing to "discipline" the employees, even us old-timers. I guess I have a problem with a 26 yr. old telling me what I can and cannot wear. First, she needs to lighten up and not sweat the small stuff. Really now, I think these shoes do have backs, they're just a bit shorter than most shoes. And what difference is it going to make in the long run if I wear these shoes or another style? Come on! Are the shoes I wear going to cause the Earth to spin off it's axis? I think not. Will world peace be impossible because I have on Keens? Pretty doubtful. So what did I do? I went to Target and bought the cheapest, butt-ugliest shoes I could find and now I wear them to work. I can't wait to retire...

I have sanded and primed the ugly, green nightstand and tomorrow it will get it's coat of fresh white paint. As you can see in the before picture, it is ugly. Not the style. Actually it has really nice lines and is quite cute, but the color is gross. It was painted back when "antiquing" was all the craze. The little table next to it was also going to get a coat of fresh white paint...but, it needs more work since the old paint is peeling. I have decided to wait on that one until later, in the fall. Don't want to get too many projects done!

My plans to get a lot of knitting done have fallen by the wayside. Or in other words, I've been a real knitting slacker! I will work on some socks tonight while daughter and I watch the movie "Redeye". Did I ever tell you about the never-ending red sweater? Well, check back tomorrow and I'll explain and have a picture. Don't get excited, it's nothing great. Off to walk the greyhound...

3 comments:

gail said...

I can't believe that the HR person wrote you up for wearing those cute, cute shoes. What planet does she live on?? Meanwhile, your furniture refinishing is fabulous!

Anonymous said...

That nightstand looks just like the dining room buffet and hutch I handed down to my daughter - that my mom 'antiqued' back when. They have worked hard and lovingly on stripping them and refinishing them - what a difference!

Janice said...

I don't know, I felt a funny wobble of the earth the other day... could be from you wearing those keens!!! Personally I think wearing butt-ugly shoes has more serious consequences....