Monday, June 18, 2007

Dead or Alive?

The above picture is of my sound asleep greyhound known as Summer. Yes, she looks dead, but trust me, she's not. She sleeps like this quite often, on her back, on the couch. I guess she also looks like she's snarling...impossible, since she is asleep, she cannot snarl. Not that she snarls anyway since she is a wonderful ole gal (10 1/2 yrs old) that loves people. I can't stress enough how great these retired racers are. I have had her for over 8 years and I would adopt (here's the great organization I adopted her from) her all over again! She is starting to slow down a bit but there are days she still acts like a puppy. Most people think that greyhounds are hyper and always wanting to run...not true. They are loving dogs that border on lazy (sorry Summer, but we both know that to be true) and require less care than most other large dogs. They have very little inherent health problems since any problems, such as hip dysplasia, were bred out of the breed long ago. Remember, these dogs were bred for speed and a profit so health problems were NOT allowed. They like to walk, and with a little encouragement they can be great jogging partners. There are a few hard and fast rules that do apply to greyhounds. First and foremost, they can never be off a lead. They are sighthounds and they are fast, very fast, some say the second fastest land animal on earth right behind the cheetah. They need to be contained in a fenced yard or walked regularly on a leash. Unless you can run 40 mph to catch your loose greyhound, a leash is mandatory. They can see something a half mile away, take chase, and be lost before they even know it. Plus, a leash is a protector and safeguard and all dog owners should use one. Second, they are house pets. If you're looking for a dog to keep kenneled outside, a greyhound is not for you. They have very little undercoat and body fat. They get hot in the summer and cold in the winter. They need the protection of a shelter with regulated temperatures. Personally, if you don't want a dog that you will keep indoors, maybe you don't really want a dog.

Today I went shopping with my daughter and grand daughter. I returned 2 books that my aunt gave me for my birthday (shhh, don't tell her!) and bought a book I wanted. What book? Why, "More Sensational Knitted Socks" by Charlene Schurch, of course. Her books are awesome and so well laid out. I love how the patterns are all in chart form and easy to follow. I find her books helpful when you need numbers for a basic sock pattern. She has lots of ideas for making your socks "fancy" and even has stitch patterns in the back of the book. I guess that if I could only have one sock pattern book, hers would be it! Although I also love any book by Nancy Bush and Ann Budd. After we were done shopping we had lunch at Big Bowl, one of my favorite restaurants. We had dumplings and I had Pad Thai noodles. They were good. I am enjoying my time with Stacey and Mia and will miss them when they leave on Saturday.

I am going to paint my little antique nightstand today. First sand, prime, then paint. I really don't love to paint...if fact, I really dislike painting. When I moved into my house over 3 years ago I painted almost every room. It was torture. I think it's the boring factor...it's so damn monotonous. But today my little ugly green nightstand will be reborn as a beautiful white piece of heirloom (dare I call it that?) furniture. Thank goodness the temps are normal and the humidity is gone so I can comfortably work outside.

1 comment:

Janice said...

Sounds like you are having a wonderful time off. I love the picture of Summer and you're great explanation of the breed. I am a dog lover through and through and hoping to raise service dogs next time around.
Big Bowl is my favorite restaurant and I LOVE Pad Thai.. now you have me hungry!!!