Thursday, May 10, 2007

Spring Has Arrived in Minnesota!


What is it about this time of the year? I love it, and I dread it. I love the smell of the blooming lilacs and apple trees. I love the cool mornings and comfortable nights. I love that that little finch is building a nest in my silk hydrangeas that hang by my front door. I dread the fact that in a few weeks it will be hot...and probably humid. I think a lot of people who have never been to Minnesota have the impression that we are covered with snow most of the year. Not true. In fact, our summers can be brutally hot. Last year we have the third hottest summer on record with around 34 days with temps over 90 degrees! And add humidity to that and it sucks! When asked what my favorite season is (and we are lucky enough to actually have "seasons" in MN) I will always answer FALL. I am looking forward to fall already. The beautiful leaves, cool weather, crisp air that promises those first few snow flakes. Love it! So why the lesson on Minnesota weather? Knitting, of course! When it gets hot I find it hard to knit. Physically hard. The yarn sticks to my fingers and hands and the stitches refuse to slide on the needles. Anyone else have that problem? But I persevere since I want that Lisa Lloyd cardigan done for those crisp fall days.

I did cast on for the second toe-up sock. Since it is worsted weight yarn (bought here) with only 48 sts, it is what I consider a fast knit. I am itching to try this method with some Opal, but I have so many socks to finish first. Socks, sweaters, dishcloths, scarves, etc... I need about 5 sets of hands and then I could get all those projects DONE and not feel guilty. Funny how I feel guilty starting another project but never feel guilty about buying more yarn. BTW, I tried something new, I'm sure it's been done by someone else before, when I bound off the toe-up sock. I know that the bind off seems to be an area of concern with toe-up socks since you need a very stretchy top to fit comfortably. So this is what I did. I'm not claiming this is my own invention, although I have never seen it anywhere. I knit the first 2 stitches and bound one off as usual, then I slipped the single stitch that was on my right needle back onto the left needle. Then continue as usual...knit 2 sts, bind off one, slip single stitch back onto left needle, repeat. That way, every stitch is being worked twice and the edge is very stretchy. You will get a tiny lacy looking ridge on the top but once the sock is on it is not noticeable. It worked and it is loose enough to fit well and look good. Check out the picture!

1 comment:

N. Maria said...

No sticky fingers here with menopause in the house! Most of the time I'm cold!
I had just recently seen/heard/read of that cast-off but haven't tried it.
Thank you for reminding me about it!!