Thursday, May 24, 2007

Baking and Organizing


Today was a typical Minnesota spring day...rainy. My greyhound had her annual vet check-up today and she is a healthy 10 1/2 year old dog! She got a rabies vaccine and her heartworm meds for the next 7 months. We don't need to do the heartworm meds year round since there are no mosquitoes in the winter. Even they are smart enough to leave the state or go wherever mosquitoes go for the cold season. After the vet check I stopped for my newest addiction...a Pom-A-Mango smoothie from Caribou Coffee. They are so good they should be illegal!

When I got home I decided to organize my knitting patterns. I went to Office Max and bought a box of 100 page protectors. I have my patterns in a couple 3-ring notebooks, so I put all loose patterns in a page protector and then organized them in my notebooks. I can't believe how many awesome patterns I have printed off the internet for free. More than I'll ever be able to knit in my lifetime, well, maybe not that many but close! It feels good having them available so when I do need to knit that special hat or sweater, I have the pattern handy in my knitters notebook. Now all I need to do is organize the yarn! Since my son moved out I have an extra bedroom so I am thinking that it would make a great room to set up my knitting machine and sewing machine. There's also built-in bookshelves so I could put all my knitting books in there, and an empty closet for all those Rubbermaid bins of yarn and fabric. What if Tyler ever decides to move back home? I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

After the patterns were organized I baked a bundt cake. Remember those bundt pans that everyone had to have in the 70's? Well I still have mine and I use it all the time. When I bake banana bread it goes in the bundt pan, when I bake caramel pull-aparts they go in the bundt pan. I love my bundt pan. It makes a pretty cake that is easy to slice and serve. Today I tried a recipe I found on a blog. This is the second time I've made this cake and it is good, good tasting and good and easy to make. It's called:

Best Bundt Cake Ever

1 cake mix, any flavor
1 can of ready to spread frosting, any flavor
1 cup milk
1/2 cup oil
4 eggs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat together frosting, milk, oil, and eggs until smooth. Add cake mix and beat until well blended. Pour into greased and floured bundt pan and bake for 60 minutes. Cool 15 minutes before removing from pan.

Here's the fun part. You can mix up the flavors! The first time I baked it I used chocolate frosting and yellow cake mix. I got a nice chocolate flavored cake. This time I used lemon frosting and lemon cake mix (picture above) and it is yummy! I love anything lemon and this cake is good! I did a little drizzle of icing made with a tablespoon each of butter, milk, lemon juice whisked with about 2/3 cup powdered sugar. Nothing fancy but it looks naked with out it! I see the potential for lots of different flavors here. How about a spice cake mix with cream cheese frosting, or a devils food cake mix with fudge frosting, or maybe a white cake mix with strawberry frosting. Yup, you can get all those flavors of frosting, amazing ain't it? You could mix any flavors you want. Let me know if you try this recipe and how it turns out.

I am still working on the Peach Petal socks and they are turning out so pretty. I really am liking the pattern and the yarn colors. I am turning the heel now, my favorite part of knitting a sock. It's that magic moment when a knitted tube takes a turn and actually becomes a sock. Once the heels done and you're decreasing the gusset stitches it feels like the sock is almost complete. I am going to cast on the second one right away...no SSS for this pair!

I guess I should take Summer for a walk. She's been such a good girl today. She even let the vet tech clip her nails...no small task! She is TERRIBLE about getting her nails clipped. Normally I take her to the groomer and they are very stern with her and she gets so scared. They have 3 people all trying to hold her down and she hates it! In reality, they are sort of mean, they have no tolerance for a frightened dog. But the vet tech was awesome, she was gentle and kind and Summer was actually good. No crying, jumping around, or acting up. From now on we go back to the vet for nail clipping, even though it cost 3 times more, it's worth every penny!

Off to walk while there's a break in the rain!



No comments: