Saturday, March 3, 2007

I Have Cankles...

Yes, cankles. What are cankles you ask. Well, cankles are a malady that I inherited from my mom, who in turn inherited them from her mom, my gramma Alexander. For all I know, cankles could go back centuries on my mothers side of the family. Yes, cankles are something you hope you don't inherit, but if you do, there's not a damn thing you can do about it. My mom prefers to call her cankles "the curse of the Alexander leg", but regardless of what she calls it, we've got it. It is the unattractive ankle that looks like a continuation of your calf, hence, calf going into ankle=cankles. Okay, so it's not like we have elephant shaped legs, not really. More like a fence post...sort of the same circumference from knee to foot. There's differing degrees of cankleness. I've seen worse than mine, much worse, but all in all, I'd say mine is the average cankle. Why do I tell the whole blogging world about my cankles, because I knit socks. Yup, cankles have a profound effect on sock knitting. Ever since I first laid eyes on the popularJaywalker Socks I have wanted to knit them. I can tell by the comments I've read and just by looking at the unyielding stitch that these socks will not fit a cankle ankled gal like me. I don't want to have to struggle to get my heel into my socks and I don't want my feet turning blue from the blood circulation being cut off. Nope, I need stretchy ribbing or delicate lace or even some good old cables with lots of extra stitches thrown in for good measure (pun intended :o). Today I found another sock that I had started many years ago. It's pretty, I like it, and it is a sock that draws your attention to the ankle (or in my case cankle). Am I going to finish it and knit another? Of course. And I'm also going to write the pattern up so you can knit it for thinner, regular ankles or for women who have a slightly "thicker" ankle like mine. So never fear...us cankle ankled gals can have a beautiful lace encircled ankle too. We need it, we want it, we deserve it! Check back tomorrow for a photo of the Cankle Anklet (I guess it's not really an anklet since anklets have a folded over top) but that's what I'm calling it!

1 comment:

Lynn said...

Gotta love blogger....this may be a duplicate post. Either way I have cankles too!! My grandmother had them, my mom had them, I have them and unfortunately I passed them on to my daughter. I plan on saving your blogsite, and trying your sock patterns. I only make socks with ribbing because I know some of the designed ones won't fit. Welcome to the blogworld!