Thursday, March 8, 2007

Canklets Are A Bust! Pannekoeken Rocks!


After spending the better part of yesterday afternoon searching for my notes on the Canklet...I am willing to give up the fight. I cannot remember how I deciphered the German chart and I can't find my notes. I went through my numerous knitting bags and my computer notes to no avail. So, unless there is a kind knitter in blogland (who can read German) and is willing to help me translate the stitch pattern, the Canklets are going in the frog pond. I've tried the translators online but they were no help. A nice blogger even sent me this link for German knitting terms, but still no help. I know when to throw in the towel, or sock, and I think it's now.

Tomorrow I am going to the hospital to have a colonoscopy. I am 54 and have dodged the probe bullet as long as I can. I have a new doctor and she is a hard-ass, but I really like her. She finally got my diabetes medication figured out and I feel much better. Unfortunately, she saw on my chart that I had never had a colonoscopy, which I guess is supposed to be done at 50 years old. So, tomorrow at 4pm central standard time I will join the ranks of legends of others who have been through this humiliating test. Oh joy....

Since I can't eat solids today or tomorrow I made one of my favorite meals yesterday. I made Pannekoeken...or as we call it, Dutch Baby Pancake. It is sort of like a gigantic popover that you can put syrup or fruit on. I like to put blueberry syrup on mine, my sons like maple syrup. It's simple to make and your house smells like Christmas cookies baking! Here's the recipe. A few pointers, the edges brown first, watch the center for doneness. The center should have golden brown spots on it. Eat it right away after you take it out of the oven since it will collapse a little. You probably don't need extra butter :o) but fruit syrups and maple syrup is a must. If you bake it in a pie pan you can cut it into wedges for easy serving. Make 2, they get eaten fast! Bon apetit!

Dutch Baby Pancake
This recipe makes one. Double the recipe to bake 2 at once.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees

Melt 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) of butter in a pie plate.

Mix together, with whisk, just until blended:
2/3 cup flour
2/3 cup milk
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp sugar
pinch of salt

Pour the batter (there will be lumps, that's okay) into the middle of the pie plate that has the melted butter. Place in oven and bake for 16-20 minutes, until browned, firm and puffed. Top with syrup, fruit, cinnamon and sugar, whatever! Eat and enjoy. You can bake 2 at a time, this recipe is for one only.

I have today, tomorrow, and Saturday off work. I'm hoping I feel fine Saturday since my knitterly friends Joyce, Janet, and I have plans for lunch and yarn shopping. I definitely deserve some new yarn after going through a colonoscopy, any reason to buy more yarn works for me! There are many good yarn shops in the Twin Cities area. I think we will hit Yarnzilla, Yarn Cafe, and Coldwater. All great shops with good customer service. I have shopped at a couple other shops in town and had less than friendly customer service so they don't get my yarn dollar any more. Should be fun, it's always a joy to add to the stash! I am using up some of my old stash (really old!) and knitting some cute slippers. I found the pattern online. They're called Plain Jane Slippers, and are very cute. I am following the pattern but using Lopi and size 10 needles and I plan on felting them. I'll post a picture if it works out okay! Sometimes my felting experiments aren't the best, in fact, I have had complete failures. They are very disappointing after all the time I spent knitting the item. Keep your fingers crossed that these work. They should be cute, and toasty!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy reading your blog and appreciate the patterns.

I had a colonoscopy about 9 months ago and it's really, really, really NOTHING. You are asleep, don't feel a thing and can't remember anything afterwards. The worst part of it is the preparation.

Good luck and I know you'll come out of really well.