Wednesday, March 14, 2007

To Be Started..Soon


Last Saturday my 2 friends, Joyce and Janet (HI !) and I went to Yarn Cafe in Maple Grove, MN. We had an excellent time. That has to be one of the most fun yarn stores in the Twin Cities. And the service...the best! Barb wound all our yarn purchases even though it was busy. Most stores would have told us they were too busy to bother. And we had lunch at their awesome little cafe. The salads were good...really good. You can sit and eat while you knit, look at books, gaze at the walls of beautiful yarn, etc. They have delicious baked goods also, which we had for dessert, of course! I could have stayed there all day, and we almost did. I highly recommend this shop if you are ever in the Minneapolis area. Save room for coffee and a giant muffin! And be sure to check out the new yarn they carry exclusively called Mooncake Yarn. The color selection is huge...I would guess the worsted weight comes in over 50 colors and the heavy worsted in 25 colors. These yarns are reasonably priced and have great yardage, over 200 per skein. I bought some grey and purple to make some slippers. Joyce and Janet both bought green for vests. I'll let you know how it knits up. I noticed that they don't have it listed in their online store but I'm sure they will soon.

I want to start the Lisa Lloyd Basketweave Cardigan (look at that beautiful purple wool and the buttons...they are an iridescent pearl with purple streaks) but I am forcing myself to finish my cable pullover first. Don't get me wrong, I love the pullover and all I have left are the sleeves, which I plan on casting both on today and knitting at the same time. So when I'm done, I'm really done! This pullover has been a fun knit, I pretty much designed it as I went and it actually turned out pretty nice. I'll post a pic as soon as it's done and sewn together. I am going to start some slippers with the above mentioned Mooncakes Yarn. BTW, the Plain Jane Lopi slippers were a ginormous bust! Didn't felt worth a damn. I don't recommend Lopi for felting projects. This is the second time I've wasted my time with a felted Lopi project. Never again. Anyway...I am going to knit these slippers, which I think are really cute. I can't decide if I should knit them large and loose and felt them or just knit them regular. I'm leaning towards felting but after my last slipper disaster...

My basement flooded Monday. Yup, 3 inches of standing water because the sump pump didn't work. And to add insult to injury, I had about 10 loads of dirty clothes, waiting to become clean clothes, which are now wet, dirty, clothes. I am working on washing it all today since I was at a work meeting all yesterday until 8:oo pm (waste of time). I hope to finish it today and get my basement dried out. What a mess, I could've cried. This is what happens when you get lots of snow and then warm temps and it all melts really fast! At least I am off work today (love these Wednesdays!) so I will keep washing and knitting! C'ya...

5 comments:

Jenn said...

Yarn Cafe is a really nice shop. I like that shop, Amazing Threads, Yarnzilla (in Minnetonka) and 3 Kittens (in St Paul/Lilydale) very well. Not too fond of Skeins in Hopkins.

I love thinking about starting a new project. I've got 3 OTN right now, which is my max. Two of them are really close to done.

Anonymous said...

I haven't come across a cafe like that around here. It sounds like so much fun...good food and good knitting!
I have LOTS of ideas and have to write them down (carefully, so I can understand the notes later) so I can concentrate on the present.

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU so much for your kind words about the Yarn Cafe' - we strive everyday to make each and every customer special in our store! I do hope you love Mooncake Yarn - there is actually 74 colors of each style right now and more to come! Your positive comments out in cyber space make a positive impact on the world! Thank you and enjoy the day! Your a treasure! Scott and Michelle Swanson - Owners Yarn Cafe!

Melody said...

I'm in love with mooncake yarn. I am in the middle of a project and ran out of the color I'm using. I learned that the Yarn Cafe' has closed. Which is where I originally purchased my yarn. Where in Minneapolis can I find that brand so I can finish my project???

Anonymous said...

The line sunk with with store.