Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Good News :o) Bad News :o(


Let's start with the good news first. Stacey and Jon leave for Guatemala on Feb. 10th to pick up baby Logan and bring him home! We are all so excited! It seems like this adoption went so fast compared to Mia's. They started looking for an agency in June, found Logan's referral in July, and now they are picking him up in Feb. I told my daughter it only took 9 months, just like a pregnancy! She is a bit stressed since she thought they had another 2-4 weeks to get ready. She is still waiting for his crib and dresser to be delivered, she wanted to paint a mural (she's doing his bedroom in a pirate theme!) on his wall, and she still needs to hire a substitute teacher for her class. Other than that, the family is thrilled to be going to get him. Adoption in Guatemala is becoming less and less popular with the government, and the programs there may be shut down this year. The country is not yet Hague Treaty compliant and that will stop many from being able to adopt from there. We just feel so blessed that Logan's adoption went so smoothly and that the birth certificate now states Jon and Stacey as his parents. They will only be in Guatemala from Sunday, Feb 10th thru Wed, Feb 13th. Be sure to follow their journey to Baby Lo (Mia's name for Logan) at their blog. And of course, Gramma (me!) will have many new pictures in the future!

Now for the bad news. As many of you know, I have my house on the market. This month is was really being shown a lot. Weekly. I was hopeful that finally, things were gonna happen! And did they ever! I woke up Saturday morning to get ready for work as usual. While in my bathroom putting on my make-up I kept hearing a strange noise downstairs. Strange like...running water! When I went to investigate I was appalled to turn on a light and find the family room full of water, and the bedroom, and the bathroom. There was at least 2 inches of standing water. If this wasn't bad enough...I could still hear water running and it sounded like a freaking waterfalls! I couldn't see where it was coming from, but I could hear it in the wall behind the bathroom. I called Steve and by the time he got to my house the basement (lowest level) had now taken on about an inch of water also. He found the main shut-off valve and stopped the water works. We called our insurance agent that afternoon, but never heard from him until Monday...I'm sort of mad about that. Considering we were without water for 2 days and it would have been nice to have the clean up people here on Saturday instead of having to wait until Monday. Anyway, they sent out a company called Puroclean to start the clean up. I have to tell you...I am impressed with this company. The 2 young men who showed up were friendly, yet professional. They had this HUGE machine that sucked up all the water. They basically ripped out the bathroom, all that's left in there is the toilet. They are going to try and save the carpet since it was just laid in November and is brand, spanking new! We will recarpet if there is any indication of mold or mildew. They have hung plastic curtains to contain the area (half of the family room, a bedroom, and a bathroom) and they have special machines running that have been going since Monday afternoon. It looks like I've had a hazardous waste accident, not just a broken water pipe! Oh, and the best thing...they capped off the burst pipe so I got my water back on. Being 2 days without any water is terrible. Unbelievably difficult. We had bottled water for drinking, but think about it...no cooking, no washing of hands, no bathroom...toilet or shower! We were going to Steve's or my mom's to shower, and we ate our meals out or had take out. It was a real pain in the ass. We have had to pull the house temporarily off the market, but will leave the listing active. I guess the only fairly good thing is that we will get a totally new bathroom out of it. Big deal.

So Sunday I am off of work at 1:00pm and I am hungry...remember, my water has been off since early Saturday morning! So I stop at the local Wendy's and get an Asian chicken salad to go. I am going to go home and get the wet laundry off the basement floor, take it to Steve's (our other house) and wash it. Steve is working all day so I will take my knitting with and wash clothes, knit, and watch t.v. Sounds relaxing after all the hassle. So I pay for my salad and realize that the young lady has given me $20 extra in change. I honk my car horn so she'll open up the window, and show her that she's given my too much change. She looks at me like I'm a lunatic for giving it back, and thanks me with this quizzical look on her face. I believe in "what goes around, comes around" others call it Karma, or as the Bible says...do unto others as you would like them to do unto you. That was not my money, it was Wendy's. I would be stealing by keeping it. It makes me feel good to do the right thing. So I'm driving home with my salad and feeling good. Karma, I did good, good will happen to me in return. I pull in my driveway and hit the garage door opener...the door rises about 5 inches and drops back down. I hit the opener again, same result. I try once more, but this time a cable drops down in front of the door. Karma...whatever. The garage door repair man will be here this afternoon.

Isn't life interesting? My daughter has a very calm demeanor. I've rarely seen her angry, or truly upset. She is funny, kind, and very lovable. She always sees the silver lining in any gray cloud. When I was whining, I mean, telling her about the broken water pipe, the mess, the hassle, the dang garage door, the need to find a contractor, carpet layer, plumber, yada yada yada. Know what she says to me?? "It could be worse Mom. You are safe, healthy, your families okay, no one was hurt, and it will be fixed good as new. It's only some stupid carpet, and it's only a house. The things that are really important are okay, and that's what matters." Okay...reality check time. She's right. It's water that ruined some things in the house. It will be fixed, the insurance (minus the $1000.00 deductible) will pay for it, things will be fine.

It is cold here...no, I mean it, really cold! This morning it is -12 air temp with -32 wind chill. That is cold, Minnesota winter cold. The kind of cold where your nose hairs freeze when you breath, and your clothes feel stiff because they are frozen. You have trouble seeing because the moisture in your eyes gets so cold that they tear up and water. Yup, good ole Minnesota winter. When I walked the greyhound this morning she was content to do her business quickly and get back home. I plan on staying in today, making a pot of chili and some cornbread, knitting a bit, reading some blogs and playing at Ravelry!! Yes, I am an official member of Ravelry! I am having a bit of trouble figuring out just how to navigate the site, but I am having fun. It's not exactly what I thought it would be. I thought it was more of a forum with a lot more interaction between members. Maybe I just need to nosey around a little more and see what all is going on! Anyway, I am KnitterKaren on Ravelry, but I really haven't done anything yet so don't bother to look :o) It is fun to look at the finished projects of all the other members, especially the patterns I would like to knit. There are many members that call themselves designers that are willing to share patterns, and lots of people who post links to their patterns and blogs. You cannot put patterns on Ravelry...only a link to them. I think. Maybe it's time to go over there now and figure this all out. Have a great day, and if you're a fellow mid-westerner...keep warm!

1 comment:

Marguerite said...

Your daughter is right, of course. It's only a house. But it's your house. Even with the efficient Puroclean crew to help you've still been through a major stress and bother - probably with more to come. So you have my sympathy.

This is going to sound rather bah-humbuggy, but here goes anyway. I find the forums on Ravelry to be just another way to rehash all the topics that have been on the Yahoo knitting lists for years. Yes, it's nice to read opinions about a new yarn or pattern, but it's too much chat to wade through to find a bit of information that I might be interested in.

I'd rather read blogs. The blogs I read are written by knitters I respect and I don't have to wonder if what they're saying is accurate.

Congratulations to your family on the newest family member, Logan. What a cute little fellow. He looks alert and ready for his new and very different life.