Wednesday, January 23, 2008

January Slump



I have been knitting on my socks that I started in July 2007. I finished one and immediately cast on the second one so I could keep the momentum going! They are the Baby Breath socks from Jean Townsend and they are turning out very cute. I think that they will be given to my mom who has been looking for blue socks that "aren't navy blue but not light blue". The whims of an 81 year old! I noticed that when I knit my socks on 2 circular needles, as opposed to 4 dpn's, I get those funky "lines" where the needles meet. No, these are not ladders since the stitches are just as tight as their neighbor! I think it is the yarn fuzzing from being handled and manipulated onto the needle. Anyone else have this problem? Maybe it's just the yarn I used...KnitPicks washable sock yarn. It's a mystery to me!


I have been browsing the GarnStudio site and fell in love with a couple of their Spring/Summer sweater patterns. If you aren't familiar with this site I recommend you link on over there and check out their patterns. They are all FREE, yes FREE! They have been translated into English from their original Norwegian. There are 2465 patterns in English and many of them are awesome. Be sure to check out the "accessories" and "felted" links. Heck...check out the whole dang site! Their Norwegian sweaters are beautiful, real stunners. Maybe someday I will knit one of them. Maybe. Above are the 2 patterns that I will knit for sure. They haven't been translated yet, but should be soon. They are both from the Spring/Summer 2008 collection (link is on the lower left at their site). The white sweater I will knit in rose colored Auracania wool and I will lengthen the sleeves. The cabled cardigan, which I really love, will be done in denim colored wool and I will lengthen the sleeves on this one also. Cute, aren't they?

No one looked at either of our houses that are for sale the whole month of December. Not so this month! The house I live in has been shown 4 times, and the house hubby lives in has been shown twice and had 1 Open House. So far...no offers on either. :o( But, spring is just around the corner, okay, it's a few months off, but hopefully the market will change for the better by then! I am still so torn as to which house I want to sell, and which one I want to keep. I guess it all depends on the one that gets the best offer and sells first!

Since today is my day off I will bake. I love to bake. I will bake cookies and maybe some bread. After I bake I will start my new book. My older brother (I am the only girl in our family, sandwiched between 2 brothers who are always referred to as my "older" or "younger" bro) Randy is an avid reader. He goes through at least 8 books a month! Lucky me...I get all of them when he's done! Lately I've noticed that he's been reading a lot of books by Stephen White. I haven't read any by him, but Randy said they are good, very good, so today I will start the Stephen White book "Kill Me". Sounds uplifting doesn't it! I will let you know what I think of it. I'll read just about anything except science fiction or fantasy.

I have heard of a malady called "blog fade" and I think I make be contracting it! I have such a hard time writing in this here blog! I keep thinking...what should I write about, and who really reads it and gives a hoot anyway!? I know I have my regular readers (thanks Janet and Janice!) but I am wondering if I should chuck this whole blogging thing and wait for my invite to Ravelry. Whenever that will be! I noticed that next month will be my blogs one year anniversary. Maybe a contest is in the works. Goodness knows, I have some awesome sock yarn that could use a new home. Stayed tuned for The String-Slingers Anniversary Contest...details coming soon. Pass it on!

6 comments:

Deb said...

Um - hello? I read you too!

marit said...

I too read you! Don't stop writing:-)
Sorry I don't comment too often.

JeanTownsend said...

I love how you did the blue socks. Wonderful color. Hope your mom likes them.

Karen said...

Deb and Marit...thanks for making my day. And thanks for reading my boring blog. You're the best!

Karen

Anonymous said...

Count me too!!!!!!!!!!
Your blog is fun. It includes my favorite topics: yarn and baking.
Woolstock

Janice said...

Definitely don't stop blogging!! Your socks look great. I do love the blue. And I LOVE the two sweaters you picked from the site. Thanks for the link.. I now have it marked as a favorite. Hoping one of the houses sell soon...