Thursday, September 27, 2007

Diving Into The Frog Pond!


Head first, here I come! I cannot believe that I have started my much awaited purple cardigan for the seventh time and need to frog it AGAIN! As you can see by the photo above, the size is way off. Yes, I checked my gauge...twice. I must be knitting tighter than when I knit my gauge swatch because there is no way that I am anywhere near being on gauge. This sweater will be small, about 42", which will not fit a busty gal like me. I was knitting the 54" size since I wanted it large enough to be comfy and to wear t-necks underneath. So, I guess this means I rip out again and start over with size 10 needles instead of the 9's I was using. I am so bummed. Do you think this yarn is cursed? Maybe it wants to be something else. All I know is that I really want it to behave and become the cardigan I so want! I'll give it one more try. If it's another failure then the yarn gets a time-out and I knit something else. I feel that 7 attempts is quite enough.

I have started to look at townhouses even though I doubt I will move until spring. There are quite a few in the area where I live that I like. I hope that I am making the right decision. Both Walker and I are sick of yard work and snow shoveling. When I have a day off I want to relax and enjoy it, not pull weeds and mow the lawn. I know that Walker will move out someday and then I would have all the work to do myself. The idea of a townhouse really appeals to me. As long as I have a deck or patio so I can sit outside and read or knit, I will be happy. I'm not a gardener so I won't miss the yard. And as far as Summer the greyhound goes, we walk 3 times a day now so that won't be a problem. She'll probably miss the fenced yard a bit but she's getting old and doesn't run around much anymore. I found some one level twinhomes built in 2003 so they are nice and fresh. Problem is, they rarely go up for sale. I talked to a resident there to get an idea of what the neighborhood is like. She said it was quiet, and loved living there but there has only been 2 units for sale since they were built! I suppose that's a good sign...the owners like their place and stay! The twinhomes are on a quiet street and there are only about a dozen units. They are one level with walkout basements and the backs face a game preserve that will never be built on. There is a marsh area with a pond and woods. It would be beautiful to sit on the deck and have a view like that! Plus, there are walking and biking paths near by for the dog and I to take our daily treks! Please say a prayer that I can snag one of these units for my own. Yes, there are lots of others townhomes in the area, but I sort of have my heart set on one of these. I believe that all things happen for a reason and if I am suppose to live there then it will work out. Fingers crossed!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That cardigan is beautiful! The color brings out the cables so nicely. But maybe your yarn needs to go to the knitting timeout chair for a bit. I have a sweater sitting in my timeout chair. Come to think of it, it has been there for a couple of years. Maybe I should check on it.

Caroline said...

Your purple yarn is beautiful, and I love the cables, BUT I totally understand about the frogging frustration. How many times should you have to re-do the same pattern??? I've had some socks that were doing that to me. I've decided to quit. I'm even giving the offending yarn away...not saying you should do that. You'll get it this time:)

Janice said...

The sweater is going to be beautiful once it gets itself sorted out!! I love cables and the purple really makes them jump out! I think a townhouse is a great option!! No yard work or snow shoveling is very appealing....

Unknown said...

Hi Wren,
We were both on socknitters years ago and I knit a couple of your designs, and loved them. Was happy to find your blog, and the Resolution sock ....its beautiful. Hope all is well with you, enjoyed your blog. The purple sweater is gorgeous yarn and sweater will be likewise. Happy to catch up with you, knit on !!!
Sue/needleclacker