Wednesday, February 28, 2007

I Love Wednesdays!



Most people love Fridays, it's the end of the work week and they are looking forward to the weekend ahead. Not me, I love Wednesdays. I have worked in the retail grocery business for over 22 years and everyone knows...retailers work weekends. I work weekends, every weekend, every single weekend. That is why I love Wednesdays, my two days off every week are Wednesday and Thursday, they are my weekend. So hats off to Wednesday, that middle of the week day when most are working hard and starting to think of the weekend, I am off and relaxing. It's not always easy having your weekend be in the middle of the normal work week but I have adjusted my life to accommodate it and it works for me!

Today I will clean my house, bake a chocolate sheet cake, think about American Idol and who I would like to see make it to the next round, and hopefully get some knitting done.

I have found the AWOL sock! He was hiding in the guest room closet with another sock that is also missing it's mate. I really like the other sock. I designed the pattern for a Sock of the Month Club that is no longer active so I may post the pattern here. It's a pretty sock that deserves a mate, especially since I would really like to wear them! I need to contact the SOTM coordinator to make sure that it's okay to post the pattern, after all, it IS my pattern and it is copyrighted to me so I don't see a problem with that. I'll post a picture so you all can see it and decide if it's something you'd like to knit.

We are in for another snowstorm. This time it's supposed to start snowing this afternoon and not stop until Friday night! We could get as much as 16 inches. Great. That's Minnesota for you. Mother Nature must have decided that our winter had been too mild and is fixing the snowfall discrepancy. Bless her frosty heart...

I just took our favorite cake out of the oven. I got this recipe from an "older" man at work who claims it's been in his family for years. I have to admit...it's pretty darn good. Here's the recipe if you'd like to try it. A few pointers: check for doneness often. It bakes very fast since it is a thin cake. It only takes 16 minutes in my oven. Enjoy!

Texas Chocolate Sheet Cake

Place in large mixing bowl:
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1/3 cup cocoa


Bring to boil and pour over flour mixture:
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
1 cup water
1/2 cup cooking oil

Add to bowl:
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 tsp baking soda (mix into buttermilk)
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

Beat until well blended. Spread in greased jelly roll pan and bake for 17-20 minutes at 400 degrees. While cake is baking prepare frosting.

Melt:
1 stick of butter
Add and heat until hot but not boiling:
1/3 cup buttermilk
Pour over:
4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
Add:
1 tsp vanilla
Beat until smooth.

Frost cake as soon as you take it out of the oven. Let cool, cut and enjoy!

* Do not substitute margarine in place of the butter. A cup of nuts may be added to the frosting if desired. Watch closely while baking, since this cake bakes quickly.

I can hear that darn vacuum calling my name. The bathrooms are whining too. I guess it's time to finish cleaning. I have decided that when I win the lottery one of my first priorities will be to hire a cleaning lady! Have a great day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My, my, my!! Thank you for sharing that delicious looking Texas sheet cake recipe!! I love recipes almost as much as knitting!