Thursday, November 29, 2007

Cheating Is Fun!

Not cheating on your spouse, or cheating on a school exam...I'm talking about cheating on your knitting! I have decided to drag my Legare Circular Sock Knitting Machines out of the closet and into use once again! I am going to crank out a couple pair of socks for my sons for Christmas. When you consider the time factor, using a CSM (circular sock machine) is an unbelievable time saver. I can knit a PAIR of socks in about 2 hours from start to finish. Yes, they are plain stockinette stitch but that's what the boys like. Above is one of my CSM's. I have 2 so that I can keep them set up at different tensions for differing yarn weights. One will knit fingering and the other sport weight yarns. I bought mine when they were reasonably priced. Now I see that "refurbished" machines are $2000.00. That is craziness! One of mine is from eBay and I paid $150.00 for it, and took it apart and painted and cleaned it myself. It was fun to work on, and I have to admit, I was amazed that it worked after I reassembled it! I still prefer to hand knit my socks, but when time is crunched, and I need gifts for the guys...my CSM comes to the rescue. Below are some socks I've knit on my machines. They are very basic with a short-row heel (not my favorite) and a mock ribbed leg. Easy, fast, very basic...but they keep your feet warm and that's what matters! Two of my sons work outdoors year round so they need toasty feet. In Minnesota that means wool socks and lots of them!
It is getting WAY cold here in the Minneapolis area. When I walked the greyhound this morning I was cold! By the time we had walked our mile my legs were stinging and burning from the wind blowing right through my jeans. I was so happy to get home and have a nice hot cup of Constant Comment tea. Supposedly this weekend we are getting snow...up to 6 inches. Snow's fine, it's the bitter cold I don't like. Winter is here for at least the next 4 months...it is the best knitting months of the year!

I am going to get my CSM's out now and set them up so I can start cranking. I will post any socks that I make. Have a great weekend and stay warm!

5 comments:

Deb said...

You were so lucky to snag them way back then!!

marit said...

I've never seen these at all! Cool:-)

Anonymous said...

The snow has started and is pouring out of the sky with a vengence. Your hand made socks will feel mighty good on everyone's toes today. It's a great day to stay inside, put up the Christmas tree and knit. As far as the knitting machine goes, I think it's cheating but I sure wish I owned one!!!
Woolstock

Janice said...

Those socks are great!! I would so use one of those machines if I had one!!! Your sons are very lucky!

Aim said...

I have never heard of one of those machines before either! what a cool thing! with the fancy fun yarns that are out, imagine being able to crank out a pair of socks in 2 hours and move on to the next fun yarn, hee hee hee!