Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Snappy Title

As you can see by the title of this post...I'm having trouble finding something to write about. As far as my knitting, I am still working on the socks for my mom and the test socks for Jean Townsend. I will be bringing these to Stitch and Pitch on Sunday when I watch the Minnesota Twins kick the butt of the LA Angels! Hopefully. Keep your fingers crossed that the weather isn't too hot since we are all riding to the Dome in a school bus, without any air conditioning! Should be great fun!

What to write, what to write...I guess my life is pretty ordinary and I haven't got anything exciting to tell all of blogdom. Which is probably a good thing. I did just finish Dean Koontz's newest book "The Good Guy". It was good, fast moving, and suspenseful. I am reading another of his now called "The Husband", which I just started so I can't really say how it is. My friend Joyce read it and loved it, and since I trust her opinion, I'm sure it will be great. Now...who out there has read "Water for Elephants"? This book has me a bit perplexed. No, I haven't even read it and I may never read it. The perplexing thing is what people perceive as a "good" book. I read for entertainment, enjoyment, and fun. I have heard that Water for Elephants is awesome, couldn't put it down, loved it! AND, I've also heard it's, depressing, dark, sad, and , as one person put it...about as enjoyable as a bad toothache. Will I read it? Doubtful. Why would I spend my time reading something that doesn't make me feel good, leaves me sad, and has nothing happy or uplifting to offer? I know, I know, broaden my literary horizons, but I don't like to read a book just for the sake of being able to say...yes, I read the popular Water for Elephants. I'd rather spend those few hours of reading on a fluffy romance, or a good murder mystery (Faye Kellerman, Patricia Cornwell, Dean Koontz, Jeffrey Deaver, etc). In fairness to myself...I did read The Kite Runner! It was good, a bit depressing and sad, but good. Why is it that book clubs and Oprah (whoever decided she was the literary queen?) always lean towards dark, forlorn, and unhappy reading? Do they feel it makes them more intelligent, or that they come away from that book a better person? I don't buy it! There's enough bad happening in the world today...I sure as hell don't need to read a novel that embraces all the evils around us. Nope, give me the fun books, and the happy ending books, and the suspense thrillers. I want to read to enjoy it and maybe, just maybe, every year or two I'll read one of those "popular" bleak and depressing, annoyingly unhappy, books that we're told are superb. Or better yet, I'll watch the news and hear enough dismal stories that I won't have to subject myself to reading it!

I am going, with my mother and aunt, to my future nieces house today for lunch. It will be nice to sit with the "ladies" and chat and enjoy a bite to eat. Then tonight is our monthly Knit2Gather which is always enjoyable. Since it is the middle of vacation time (June-August) for Minnesotans, and it's been brutally hot, the turnout may be a bit weak tonight. You just never know. Either way, it's always good to get together with fellow knitters. If you live in the Minneapolis area and could join us we'd love to have your company! Just e-mail me for info and directions.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sing along time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take me out to the ball game,
Take me out to the park,
Buy me some Noro and Entrelac,
I don't care if I ever get back,
For its click, click, click of the needles,
If we drop a stitch its a shame,
For its one, two, three cables done
At the old ball game!!!!!!!

I'm ready!!!!!!!!! I even have a container of wet wipes so I can enjoy a sloppy hotdog and clean myself up for more knitting.
Woolstock

Janice said...

Wish I was coming to the game and the knit2gather. They both sound great!
I'm with you on no desire to read dark depressing books (or see dark depressing movies for that matter). Maybe it helps some people appreciate their life more seeing how bad it COULD be??? Who knows! But give me a book that lifts the soul any day!!

Deb said...

So much for the Twins kicking butt! I enjoyed seeing you - wish we could have talkes more. Your grandduaghter is a beauty!!