Thursday, August 9, 2007

Great Sadness

Minnesota experienced a terrible tragedy with the collapse of the 35W bridge last week. Many citizens are still missing and 6 confirmed dead. It has been a time of sadness and also a time of community togetherness. We all sat with a sad heart and watched the news coverage hoping and praying that no one we knew or loved was on that bridge at the time of collapse. We also prayed and hoped for the well being of the survivors and the families of the missing and those who perished. It has had a profound impact on the Twin Cities and has proven that there still are good people. Regular people, like you and me, jumped in to help with no regard for their own safety. It was a terrible tragedy, but also a triumph of the human spirit that proves the goodness of others.

After the bridge collapse last week I was not prepared to handle any other tragedies, but unfortunately, yesterday turned out to be a sad day that has touched my family and those I love. My son Tyler has been dating a wonderful young woman, Mariah, for almost 3 1/2 years. Someday I suspect she will be my daughter in law, and that pleases me greatly! Mariah's younger brother committed suicide yesterday. He was only 16. I have felt such a burden of sadness and grief for her and her family that at times it is overwhelming. If I feel this heartbroken, I can't even begin to imagine how their family feels. They are wonderful people...kind, great parents who love their children, a strong family full of life. How does something like this happen? Why does something like this happen? They are devastated. I am so sad for them and for their lost son. Please remember them in your prayers.

4 comments:

Janice said...

Oh Karen... I am so sorry to hear about Mariah's brother and will keep you all in my prayers. There are so many things in life that are hard to understand.. this being one of the hardest. There is so much suffering in this world... We need each other, that's for sure. I'll be praying that you will have opportunities to be a source of comfort and hope to Mariah and her family. They must be devastated.

Janice said...

P.S. I too would love to get together for a coffee and some knitting. Where in the cities are you? We get up there once a month or so. Shoot me an email sometime...
jriggs@mwsupernet.com

Anonymous said...

I am so very sorry for you and Mariah and her family. The 35W bridge collapse was horrible but beyond our control but suicide is more difficult because the person chose it. Or at least for that particular moment he did. It is hard to be a kid these days and hard to grow up into adulthood, lots of pressures. Doctors are now saying that teenage boys don't have some of the connections in the brain that we have. Their brains don't process information like we do.
I will pray for everyone. Call me if you want to talk.
Woolstock

Deb said...

Karen -
I'm sorry for your loss and for Mariah's family. I will hold you all in my heart and keep you in my prayers.