Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Mittens! Lots of Mittens!

I was into knitting mittens last winter and went a bit crazy! I knit a couple dozen. Some were gifted, more were used by me, and most were put in a box for donation. It really does get cold here in Minnesota, so we actually wear mittens for protection and warmth against the biting cold winter. They aren't just a fashion statement, but a real necessity. I knitted lots of patterns from Ravelry (man, I 💜 that place!) that had all different styles of thumb gussets. After test knitting and trying on (that's the real test, how they fit) I decided to write a simple mitten pattern of my favorite thumb style. I do NOT take any credit for designing or inventing this thumb. I am sure there are many other mitten patterns that incorporate this style. What I like so much about it is...the comfy fit! Hence, I will call this pattern, Comfy Gusset Mittens. The thumb gusset starts almost directly after the wrist ribbing is complete. This makes a wider gusset at the widest part of the hand. Makes sense right? There is one drawback about the comfy gusset. It incorporates stitches from the back of the hand, so there isn't a lot of real estate for cables, patterns, etc. But you certainly can have fun with the ribbing or top of the mitten. Tiny cable ribbing, rolled top, fancy patterned ribbing, the choices are endless! This pattern is a plain vanilla pattern perfect for men, women, and children. Happy Knitting!


No comments: